Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Every end is another beginning.

Well I'm not going to lie, I am beginning to get nervous again. I think it's because most of my time has been focused on student teaching and school and my last day is Thursday. So that means that from there on out all my focus is going to be on getting ready. My concerns seem so stupid but I can't help it. I'm not worried really worried about living in another country I guess like most people would be. I am unbelievably excited to see new and experience new cultures. I want to be totally emmersed in something out of my realm of norms. I am mostly just worried about being adequately prepared and fitting in with my group. I kind of feel like the baby of the group because a lot of times they say things that we should pack or that they are doing, and I think man I'm dumb for not knowing about that. I don't know I just hope I click with everyone and don't let my shy side get the best of me. Is it normal to feel this? I mean I think I am still in a large amount of shock from actually having the chance to go. I just think it's hard to really fully take in all that is going to change and happen on February 5th. I don't know why but for some reason I don't at all feel nervous about doing my job. I just have this feeling that as far as what I am going for, I am on the right track and will do a good job. I really really hope I get to work some at an orphanage, maybe as my secondary project. I think as long as I can keep my goals for what I want to accomplish throughout my life I will be okay.
Well as I mentioned before Thursday is my last day with my kids. Man I'm going to miss them. I took a bunch of pictures on the manual camera my sister handed down to me (thanks Nikki love you) and I am super excited to get them developed. I am teaching my last lesson tomorrow. Man am I really graduating from college? That's weird to think. I always feel like I am about 4 years younger than what I really am..so that would make me 19. Yep that feels about right. I think it comes from everyone trying to act so much older than they really are now days and I hate that. Speaking of teaching I have some goody bags to put together for my itty bitties.

Feeling a little nervous,

Leighton

2 comments:

  1. Hey Leighton!!!! omg! My life goal is to open an orphanage! this is so freaking cool! this is no joke! i told kellen that i wanted to find an orphanage to volunteer at as another project as well! this is sooooo cool Leighton...now i know i have something in common with one of the volunteers!
    i know how you feel with the packing list...like everyone knows what to bring (things i would never think of) one of those people being my own husband. lol. i feel so stupid when he has thought of a million and one pieces of gear and all i have thought of is a rope. haha. not even kidding. the good thing is that we'll all have each other to lean on and learn from. kellen went to africa for three months with a buddy of his which has really helped him have somewhat of an idea of things that will be helpful. Kellen made a list on the pc guyana discussion board that will maybe put you at ease. i feel really young too. in fact i think i may be the youngest of all of us. i'll be 23 in january. plus i look really young and i fear that people won't take me seriously or won't think that i know what i'm talking about. i can't stand when people try to act older....makes me want to barf. lol I am very excited that you are done with school Friday!!! You have waited for this moment forever! Are you going to walk? I liked walking because I felt so accomplished. Heather!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for making me feel better Heather! I tend to overanalyze (like you couldn't tell lol). But I woke up this morning excited again. I guess it was just a little case of nerves. I've always wanted to work at an orphanage or some sort of refugee camp, so that's really awesome that you do too. After we get acquainted with our surroundings and everything we should see if there are any that we can visit. I'd love that! Thanks for being excited for me graduating :). I'm not walking because my school is so small it only has one ceremony at the end of the year in May. I hope by then I'll be doing something more exciting. Thanks again for making me feel better. SEE YOU SOON!! :)

    ReplyDelete